Our Malawi Partnership
– a journey of Co-operation
Central Co-op launched ‘Our Malawi Partnership’ on 2nd July 2022 the 100th International Day of Co-operatives.
Our Malawi Partnership Mission Statement:
“The best-ever Co-operative International Development UK led retail strategy which ensures a deeper understanding of the impact of co-operative and fair trade over aid. This to be sustainable, take Malawian communities out of abject poverty and create engagement opportunities with UK Co-op members and communities.”
So much has been achieved.
In the first year, we've -
- Created a range of products in our stores, linked to Malawi, that fund the work we deliver on the ground. The range includes tea, coffee, nuts, rice and more.
- Recruited Jeruzye Munthali (Jeru) as a dedicated project manager within MAFECO.
- Listened to Members to help shape our workplans.
- Supported MAFECO, securing new offices for the team, and helping to create new governance and operating structures.
- Trained farmers in organic fertilizer and good agricultural practice.
- Planted 1000 new macadamia trees.
- Begun discussions to develop a co-operative structure for rice producers.
- Identified a co-operative partner to work with on a bamboo planting pilot.
- Developed and delivered training for women and young people.
- Created Malawi's first tea union.
- Delivered disaster relief to tea growing co-operative communities following Cyclone Freddie.
- Shared tasty, accessible recipes created by Masterchef winner Shelina Permalloo, using the product range.
- Been finalists in the Retail Week and Grocer Gold awards for the initiative.